Tradewind Cycling Team
The mission of the Tradewind Cycling Team is to promote competitive bicycle racing in the State of Hawaii. We acknowledge that sportsmanship, teamwork, commitment, dedication and support for one another are the hallmarks of a successful cycling team.
We believe in the core values of being:
- Inclusive – we welcome other competitive cyclists and cycling supporters to be part of our team and participate in our activities
- Respectful – we respect each other and embrace diversity as the core of our strength as a team
- Enthusiastic – we are enthusiastic promoters of our team, our sponsors and competitive cycling
- Active – we are active in team activities riding and racing with the team whenever we can, attending team events and volunteering for cycling-related events
- Good Examples – we know that by sharing the road with other users, riding safely and being good sports in-competition we further the cause of cycling
Our core values represent the strength, character, and foundation of who we are: a team committed to presenting competitive cycling in a positive light while building solid and long-lasting relationships.
Who we are
Tradewind Cycling Team (TCT) was founded in 1989 with 7 members. The other name that had been considered for the team was Tropical Top Tubes. Thank goodness Tropical Top Tubes lost out! Current membership is now 75. Tradewind Cycling Team is a USCF licensed bicycle racing team. In the effort of promoting the sport of bicycle racing in Hawaii TCT sponsors several races during the year including the Tauntalus Time Trial, the longest continuously-running bicycle race in Hawaii and the brand-new Kauai Stage Race along with other smaller races.
Membership is open to all bicyclists and supporters who are interested in bicycle racing and are planning and/or willing to volunteer at team sponsored events. Being active in the club is a requirement of membership. We all lead busy lives with many obligations both at work and home and we know that the vast majority of the members will not be at every ride or event, but members should make an effort to participate in activities as often as possible during the course of the year. Membership applications are subject to review and acceptance by the membership committee.
- Club-organized team support at races
- Access to Tradewind Members only on-line chat group
- Quarterly ride schedule published in advance to team members only
- $20 individual, $35 family
- Annual membership/year runs from: October 1st through December 31st of the following year
- Saturday Ride
- Sunday Spin
- Quarterly social get-togethers
- Neighbor Island Trips
- Monthly TCT-organized open women's ride called "Princess on Pedals"
- Annual Christmas Lights Ride
- Tantalus Time Trial
- Kauai Stage Race
Volunteer Opportunities for Team Members
- Tantalus Time Trial: Setup/Registration/Starts/Results
- HBL Metric Century: Sag Wagon Drivers
- Tinman Triathlon: Course Marshals, Motorcycle Referees
- HBL Century Ride: Sag Wagons
- Dick Evans Road Race: Race Caravan Drivers/Course Marshalls/Aid Stations
- Honolulu Marathon - Wheelchair Division: Bike Escorts
The club sponsors training rides on most Saturday and Sunday mornings. Routes on the island alternate between starting points in town, leeward and windward locations. Most Saturday rides start at 7 a.m. and are about four hours long, covering about 60 miles, and most Sunday rides are about three hours long and cover about 40 miles.
All riders need to be competent and capable of riding these routes alone although the club does its best to not leave anyone behind. The rides are announced weekly via the club's e-mail group. To get on the e-mail: Tradewindcyclingteamemail@example.com